Los Angeles bomb squad techs reportedly miscalculated weight of illegal fireworks before explosion

Frontier Airlines launches new Phoenix to Dallas flight
Frontier Airlines launches new Phoenix to Dallas flight
July 20, 2021
Gov. Noem says Democrat promotion of CRT is “all about power”
Gov. Noem says Democrat promotion of CRT is “all about power”
July 20, 2021

Los Angeles bomb squad techs reportedly miscalculated weight of illegal fireworks before explosion

Los Angeles bomb squad techs reportedly miscalculated weight of illegal fireworks before explosion
Los Angeles County emergency personnel work at the scene of a fireworks explosion in Los Angeles on Wednesday, June 30, 2021. A cache of illegal fireworks seized at a South Los Angeles home exploded, damaging nearby homes and cars and injuring several people, authorities said. (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu)

Los Angeles County emergency personnel work at the scene of a fireworks explosion in Los Angeles. A cache of illegal fireworks seized at a South Los Angeles home exploded, damaging nearby homes and cars and injuring several people, authorities said. (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 1:05 PM PT – Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Five Los Angeles bomb squad technicians had their field privileges revoked after miscalculating the weight of a homemade firework detonation, which injured 17 people last month. During a news conference on Monday, the city’s police chief said the officers made a human error by estimating the weight of the explosives instead of using a scale.

Officers guessed the explosives to be 16 pounds. However, the actual weight was found to be around 42 pounds. The device used for the controlled explosion was designed to withstand a maximum capacity of only 25 pounds.

“We are committed to identifying how this occurred and ensuring it never is repeated,” LAPD Chief Michael Moore explained. “In that pursuit, we’ll be identifying revisions to our operating protocols to expand the margin of safety for the public and our personnel alike. We can and must do better.”

Meanwhile, officials said the final investigation into the cause of the blast will not be completed for at least another month.

MORE NEWS: Calls Grow For Minn. State Rep. To Step Down Amid Scandals

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

X